2008年5月16日 星期五

general comment #2

Read through chapter 5 of Crucial Conversation. This one generally sits better than 'Communication Effectively' on me. I read that the 'idiocy of either or thinking' hits the core for Buck too. In 'The Inconvenient Truth', Al Gore mentioned the same issue in dealing with the problem he was trying to present. I think we all feel it in our lives, that's why the phrase made an impression on both me and Buck. I guess the reason is people are inherently lazy in nature. We want a solution out there to solve a problem, or we give up. The tendency to do so increases as the difficulty rises. As the communications happening in our daily lives looking so 'inconsequential' and 'trivial', we are even more prone to do that, instead of making an effort to actually use our brains and think.

The topic on 'creating a safe feeling' is too idealistic and it leaves many questions to me. Head not clear enough yet.

Off topic: Out of curiosity, I checked the 2 books on amazon, Crucial Conversation has 121 reviews, with 4.5 avg rating, and Communicating Effectively has 8, avg 4.5. Isn't that interesting?

1 則留言:

Unknown 提到...

Ch 5 is the biggest chapter in the whole book. To some degree it is a very important chapter, too.

It introduces a lot of methods to "Make it safe". "Mutual Purpose" and "Contrasting" are especially helpful to me. I am glad you will introduce this chapter because you should be able to give us a lot of insights.

Appreciate for your hard work!